Friday, November 15, 2013

Winter is coming...

Hi there!

The weather has been rather wintery these past days. Yesterday morning I realized that the magnolia tree that was still splendidly green a couple of days earlier had profoundly felt the change in temperature. Two images came to mind...one of a lady decked in jewels and the other, much more somber, of a very famous Italian poem about the fragility of life...

Si sta come d'autunno sugli alberi le foglie. Here we are like the leaves, in Autumns. So wrote the poet Giuseppe Ungaretti  referring to the condition of the soldiers in the trenches during WWI. They are really just barely hanging in there...




My in-laws have departed and returned to the warmer shores of Italy, we have had to take care of a few things in the house, and I am cautiously coloring my Sub Rosa drawing.
Soon I'll post what I have been doing so far...

Have a warm weekend everybody!

PS: I just realized I had the wrong title on for a while...I changed my mind half way through about what I wanted to talk about and then forgot to modify the title! ;)

4 comments:

  1. I think magnolias are beautiful trees, although a little too fragile for my part of the world, I love your description of them looking like they are draped with jewels.Lovely photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing the colour on the new drawing! Our trees are bare now too and we've already had the dreaded snow a few times. Not enough to stay but a reminder that the cold blast is almost here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Astera..beautiful image of the Magnolia..so enchanting even when the weather is cold. Thanks for sharing the Italian poem..beautiful and powerful! Wonderful to visit you and your world!
    hugs
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. so lovely
    it almost looks decorated, perhaps by the wee folk ;-)
    I hope you enjoyed your family visit. lovely days and nights to you ~

    ReplyDelete